- 4 large honey crisp and/or granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1" chunks
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Oat, almond meal and pecan topping:
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (use certified gluten-free oats for a gluten-free crisp)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed almond flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons plain greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a 9 by 9-inch square baking dish, mix together the apples, honey, arrowroot or cornstarch, lemon juice, cinnamon and allspice.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the oats, almond flour, pecans, brown sugar and salt. Mix in the Greek yogurt and melted butter. Stir until all of the flour is incorporated and the mixture is moistened throughout.
- Dollop spoonfuls of the oat mixture over the filling and use your fingers to break up the mixture until it is evenly distributed (no need to pack it down). Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling around the edges and the top is nice and golden. Let the crisp rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream!