Handy Dental Tips:
1. Rinse your mouth with water after meals. Can’t brush or floss throughout the day? Rinse with water to reduce the acid in your saliva.
2. Mechanically clean and promote oral health with crunchy, firm foods like; nuts and apples to clean soft sticky foods from the teeth.
3. Eating whole wheat vs white carbs. White carbohydrates and processed foods breakdown into sugar during digestion. Replacing theses foods with whole grain products can help reduce sugar in your diet. Eg brown rice/bread/whole grain crackers.
4. Cheese. 100% real cheese that is hard example cheddar is a food that reduces acid.
5. Don’t share foods with infants/ children. Cavities are contagious and some of us are more prone to them than others. As babies we are not born with the bad bacteria in our mouth to produce cavities it is passed onto us. Eg tasting babies food before feeding them, kissing children on the lips.
6. When eating candies/sweets let your children eat them at one time rather than throughout the day limiting the amount of attacks throughout the day. Have them brush afterwards and or rinse with water.
Example: Five chocolates at once rather than one each hour or more.
Tips: Lollipops and gum: Keeping these to a time limit or telling children to chew them may be better than constantly sucking on them over a long period of time.
7. Fats and minerals in foods
Healthy fats help reduce acid making healthier teeth and gums while also ensuring proteins and cells in the body are healthy.
Minerals found in vegetables help to keep strong structures and fight the cavity process as well.